Audition for NJYS
View the NJYS 2015 2016 Season Brochure
JOIN AN ENSEMBLE AT NJYS!
The June 8 audition date is currently full. However, we will continue to accept registrations for the June 8 date and hold additional auditions on the morning of June 13 between 9:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. Please contact Stacy Beltran at email@example.com or 908-771-5544, ext. 10 for more information.
General Entrance Audition Information
Auditions for All Instruments (excluding flutes and percussion): Monday, June 8, 3:30-9:30 pm
Auditions for New Flutes Only: Tuesday, June 9, 4:00-8:00 pm
Auditions for All Percussion: Saturday, May 30
Time slots for the auditions are scheduled by appointment through the NJYS office, according to grade and instrument. The office will begin scheduling in mid-April. Please include any scheduling requests in the registration’s comment box.
Audition Registration Procedures
- Create a parent and student account and register for an audition after by clicking on the Register tab.
- A non-refundable registration fee of $60 for an individual or $80 for a family must be paid prior to enrolling for the audition in a separate transaction by clicking on Registration Fees and proceeding. An automatic receipt will be emailed upon completion.
- Under classes, select NJYS Entrance Audition for Flutes, Percussion, or All Instruments. The registration fee covers the cost of the audition.
- NJYS will send a follow up receipt of registration email within two weeks of registration.
- NJYS staff will begin scheduling auditions in mid-April.
- Audition time confirmation will be sent via email along with additional instructions. A reply to this email is required to approve and confirm the audition time slot.
General Audition Requirements – Participants will be asked to demonstrate the following:
- Solo piece of student’s choice that demonstrates talent and skill level. Students will be allowed to play approximately 3 minutes worth of music. Judges reserve the right to stop the audition.
- Sight reading appropriate to grade level.
- Scales: Please refer to each instrument sheet for scale requirements.
Scale Requirements By Instrument (Click on your instrument below to download the scale requirement PDF):
Audition Guidelines and Tips
- Formal Attire is not required. However, presentation is important. Dress to impress and feel your best!
- Make sure the solo you choose is the best representation of your talent and skill. Picking and choosing an excerpt from a much longer piece is acceptable. Use the time you have wisely, and avoid wasting it by playing sections of a piece that do not show what you can do. (You may not have time to get to “the good part”.)
- Practice. The best advice in the simplest form. Playing an instrument is just like studying for an exam, don’t cram!
- Memorization is not required, but don’t forget to bring your music!
- Parents are not allowed in the audition room. However, the best form of preparation is to present your piece to your friends and family. If you can play it in front of them, you can play it in front of anyone. It also helps with nerves.
- Before the audition it is always a good idea to visit your favorite repair shop for routine maintenance on your instrument.
- Come prepared: bring extra strings, reeds, bows, valve grease, etc.