View the NJYS 2016-2017 Season Brochure
Audition for New Jersey Youth Symphony for 2016-17!
2016-17 Season General Auditions are closed.
If you play one of the following instruments and missed our general auditions, please contact Stacy Beltran at email@example.com to schedule an audition during the week of August 30-September 1.
Violin (Grades 3-8), Viola (Grades 3-8), Bass, Oboe, Bassoon, Trombone, Percussion
Our Jazz ensembles also have available spots. For details about our newest Jazz ensemble click here: NJYS Jazz Ensemble
Students interested in auditioning should contact the Manager of Orchestras Stacy Beltran at firstname.lastname@example.org before completing the online registration fee.
General Audition Requirements – Participants will be asked to demonstrate the following:
- • Solo piece of student’s choice that demonstrates talent and skill level. Students will be allowed to play approximately 3 minutes worth of music. Judges reserve the right to stop the audition.
- • Sight reading appropriate to grade level.
- • Scales: Please refer to each instrument sheet for scale requirements.
Scale Requirements by Instrument (Click on your instrument below to download the scale requirements.)
Audition Registration Procedures
- • Register for an audition online by clicking on the Register tab.
- • A non-refundable Registration Fee of $60 for an individual or $90 for a family must be paid prior to registering for an audition.
- • Under classes, select NJYS Entrance Audition for Flutes, Percussion, or New Student Entrance Auditions (All Other Instruments).
- • Audition appointments are scheduled based on grade and instrument.
- • NJYS will contact students by email to schedule an audition.
- • Acceptance to an NJYS ensemble will be announced by email.
- • Students must register online for their ensemble no later than August 1, 2016.
- • Additional auditions will be scheduled in August 2016 to fill any available seats in NJYS ensembles.
•Sibling Discounts are available. Tuition for the child in the most advanced ensemble is at the full rate and tuition for each additional child in the same household is discounted by 10%.
•Payment Plans payable by pre-authorized credit card withdrawals are available. By choosing this method of payment, ensemble members are committing to pay the full year tuition which is non-refundable after September 1, 2016. There is a Payment Plan fee of $20.
•Financial Assistance is available. Complete the Financial Assistance Form available by clicking here.
Audition Guidelines and Tips
- • Formal Attire is not required. However, presentation is important. Dress to impress and feel your best!
- • Make sure the solo you choose is the best representation of your talent and skill. Picking and choosing an excerpt from a much longer piece is acceptable. Use the time you have wisely, and avoid wasting it by playing sections of a piece that do not show what you can do. (You may not have time to get to “the good part”.)
- • The best advice in the simplest form. Playing an instrument is just like studying for an exam, don’t cram!
- • Memorization is not required, but don’t forget to bring your music!
- • Parents are not allowed in the audition room. However, the best form of preparation is to present your piece to your friends and family. If you can play it in front of them, you can play it in front of anyone. It also helps with nerves.
- • Before the audition it is always a good idea to visit your favorite repair shop for routine maintenance on your instrument.
- • Come prepared: bring extra strings, reeds, bows, valve grease, etc.
For questions, please call 908-771-5544 or email email@example.com.